Are you having trouble summarizing complex subject matters? Want to translate your work into another language? OpenAI’s Playground provides a powerful artificial intelligence tool that makes many everyday projects easier.
What is OpenAI’s Playground and GPT3?
Think of OpenAI’s Playground as a predictive writing tool that allows you to write and improve anything. It’s programmed to take what you type in and react in a “human” way. While many AI tools of the past have been clunky and less than intuitive, Playground is built around providing you with inspiration.
The key to Playground’s technology is its predictive behavior. It’s trained to respond to your input as conversationally as possible. It does that through several different templates you can use for inspiration. Try the Chat function to converse with the bot, or choose Q&A to start a question and answer session. It also has a storyline tool that can help you create stories or even develop concepts for new TV shows.
Get started using Playground OpenAI
When you sign up to use Playground, you’ll be given an initial credit of $18 to use as you play and explore. That $18 should last a long time as it costs about six cents for 4000 characters, giving you plenty of opportunity to play. These credits will expire after three months, at which point you can purchase more from OpenAI’s platform.
To begin using Playground, you must create an OpenAI account. Visit the OpenAI page and click “Sign Up” in the upper right corner. You can use your Google or Microsoft account or sign up directly using an email address. They will provide a code for you to enter.
Enter your name and confirm your phone number. Then answer the question “How will you primarily use OpenAI” by selecting “I’m exploring personal use.” After processing your answer, your OpenAI account page will be displayed. Select “Playground” at the very top of the page.
You’ll start with an empty text box. This gives you a chance to start typing. Type or paste copy into this box and click “Submit” to get your first response.
In a few seconds, you’ll see your copy and AI-generated responses highlighted in green. If you’re having trouble finding a place to start, Playground has tools for you. In the top-right corner, you’ll find a drop-down box that you can use to gain inspiration. Click it, and you’ll find things like:
- Grammatical standard English
- Summarize for a 2nd grader
- Text to command
- English to other languages
- Parse unstructured data
Looking for more advanced options? Give the Mode tool a try. You can use this tool to select if you would like the bot to reply to your commands, alter your text, or add new text to something that’s already been written.
Playground also gives you Model settings to select the AI to communicate with. The default is set to text-davinci-002, which provides you with the most advanced AI. But you can choose other Models that are lower cost and often do surprisingly well at particular tasks. While they may not be as sophisticated as DaVinci, they may suit your needs perfectly for what you’re looking for. Not sure which to use? Experiment. You can also view the documentation on OpenAI to learn more about all Models and the differences between them.
Use the remaining sliders to select things like:
- Response length
- How often it can repeat itself
Hover your mouse over any of the choices to learn more. They may take a little practice, but you’ll quickly see the difference and find solutions that work for you.
OpenAI Playground Features
Once you’ve opened up an account and are ready to use Playground, you’ll have a variety of options available to you to use.
- Q&A – It’s designed to answer any question that is rooted in truth. You can’t try and trick it; it will respond with “unknown.”
- Grammar Correction – Corrects a sentence into standard English.
- Summarize for a 2nd Grader – It translates any difficult copy into something easier to read.
- Natural Language to OpenAI API – Creates code using natural language instruction.
- Text to Command – Translates any text into programmatic commands.
- English to Other Language – translates your English copy into Spanish, French, or Japanese.
- Parse Unstructured Data – An easy way to create tables from your long-form copy.
- Classification – Gives you an easy way to classify items into categories.
- Ad From Product Description – Turns any product description into ad copy.
- Extract Contact Information – Allows you to extract contact information from a text block.
And that’s just the beginning. With dozens of options and various possibilities, you’ll find many ways to incorporate AI into your daily routine.
What are you waiting for? Start by signing up for an account and learning more about how AI can help you today.